This is why you need to bind safely. The damage in the first picture is not the result of binding over numerous years with a simple binder. It’s the result of unsafe and irresponsible binding. Bind safely.
OH MY GOD I’M SHRIEKING THIS CAN’T FUCKING HAPPEN
It most certainly can.
In stead of just saying BIND SAFELY you should explain the safe and in safe ways to bind.
1. Bind using only an actual binder (make sure you measure and get the proper size), or tight-ish sports bra in a pinch. You want something that compresses while still having give so that your lungs can expand.
2. Never use ace bandages/belts/tape/etc to bind.
3. Do not sleep in your binder.
4. Do not wear your binder for long periods of time. I’ve seen 8 hours mentioned as the max amount of time. Learn to read your body. Some people cannot handle binding for even 8 hours but ignore the signs and injure themselves.
5. Whenever you take your binder off give a few big coughs, this well help to break up any fluid that may have settled in your lungs.
That’s all I can think of atm, but I think I’ve covered the basics.
I’m not tagging this for followers I just want all of you that bind hard to be careful.
FUCKING REBLOG THE SHIT OUT OF THIS
when i was young and stupid, I used duct tape to bind. NEVER EVER DO THIS CHILDREN. i couldn’t breathe, i could barely move, it cut into me so hard that sometimes i bled, it was so hot i got blisters, i would sometimes cry because of how much pain i was in, and it left my breasts numb in some places because of how tight it was. It killed nerve endings in my chest.
PLEASE. PLEEEEEAAAAAASE SPREAD THE WORD. PRACTICE SAFE BINDING METHODS.
One time, years ago, I used an ace bandage to bin for a costume. My then girlfriend did the binding for me. She bound me so tight I got a miraculous flat chest. Except ace bandage is designed to get tighter as it moves so that maintains the compression on your injured limb. About halfway through the day we’re standing in line for autographs and in the back of my throat I started tasting copper. My chest was on fire, my ribs hurt and I was tasting blood in the back of my throat. I honestly feel like I damaged something that day, since then I occasionally have trouble breathing. After that con I immediately went out and bought myself a binder.
This is helpful to anyone who may wear a binder, ESPECIALLY those who only do so once in awhile and don’t know what safe binding is. That ace bandage might seem like a good idea in a pinch but it’s not. Get a binder. It will save you a LOT of pain.